Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Wonderful Day

Yesterday was just about the most restful, satisfying and enjoyable day I can remember in awhile. The highlights are a rehearsal in the morning with Strings in the Mountains playing the Emporer Piano Concerto with a marvelous soloist and great musicians all around me. After that I went with some of the musicians to the provided lunch at a local restaurant and enjoyed all their stories. Then, because I hadn't ridden my horse Mohawk all week and I'm really trying to gentle him enough for the boys to ride I went and worked with him for a couple of hours. I do Parelli Natural Horsemanship with him which emphasizes minimal tack and I've always had the goal to be able to ride him bareback without a bridle just like an Indian. Yesterday I came as close as I ever have to doing it. I got on him with only the halter and lead rope and rode him around the arena. He followed the rail all the way around just by feeling the intention of my seat. He stopped. He backed up. He stood still very relaxed, even reached around and nibbled on my shoe. Now add to this that the weather was blowing up a thunderstorm and spitting rain. Hard to believe, I know. I also know a picture is worth a thousand words but I was alone and it is hard to carry a camera on the back of a horse. I was pretty amazed that it happened myself. I've been bucked off this horse before.

Then, to top off the day, I got to go and play a Strings concert that night which went very well. I had comp tickets so John got to go with a friend (the Emporer concerto is his favorite Beethoven piece).

For all you incredulous people, I promise pictures of me and Mohawk. I got John to agree to come and video us. I can't guarantee to duplicate the thunderstorm, but I'm pretty sure I can duplicate the rest. I do have more pictures of the boys on their school horses. Justin learned how to use reins this week. Joey is learning how to stand in the stirrups and lean forward on uphills and sit and lean back on downhills. Both boys have a really natural seat and good balance. I'm really proud of them.



Justin using "rainbow reins" on Raven



Joey on Freya (I need a better camera)

I had a good video of Joey riding around in the pasture but had problems uploading it.

2 comments:

tammy said...

I love days like that, when everything just feels good. Those are cute pics of the boys. You are a good mom. They are so blessed that you love them and that you are a family. I wish I knew John, ...one day

Noelle said...

What a great day. Great pictures. Looking forward to seeing you very soon!