Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thoughts on Family

I am so glad God made families. Where else could we be so completely happy and sad and exasperated all at the same time? And how else could we get the reflection of who we really are other than from people who know and love (or barely tolerate) us best? Where else would our sense of connectedness to mankind develop to the fullest?

I love my family so much! I love Dad and Mom for bringing me into this world. I love them for endeavoring to teach me how to be the best human being possible. I love each of my siblings for different reasons. I love Faline because she is so brave and determined and has been such a wonderful confidant. I love Teddie, but I don't know if she loves me. That teaches me a lot because it has made me grow spiritually and emotionally to feel that. I love Lamona because of her attitude of stick-to-itiveness and ethic of hard work, and also her yummy cooking! I love Gayla--sweet, songbird Gayla, who endured so much physically and emotionally to create a family of her own. She inspires me as I strive to create my own. I love Launi--she is an angel in heaven, helping to draw me closer to going there hopefully, when it is my time. I love Ladawn who has such an angelic temperament herself. I don't think I have ever heard her raise her voice in anger. I love Monte, my big brother who wasn't afraid to say he loved me when he was a teenage boy. He is always true to his emotions. I love Kelly. I have been hard on him in the past, but I hope he will forgive me for that. He has a kind and gentle heart which I admire. I love Brennan, who is a relentless optimist and always welcomes my family into his home with open arms. I love Luella, who is so beautiful and talented and positive. I love Noelle, the great communicator, she is so genuine and I love reading her blog. I love Rachelle who is such an example of love and service to her family. If I could, I would also list my Grandparents, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews individually and why I love them. Perhaps that is a project for many other posts in the future. Those of you whom I know have added immeasurable richness to my existance. I look forward to opportunities to continue to build on that with you. Those of you whom I do not yet know, I hope I will, because otherwise I will miss out on your beauty and uniqueness.

I love my husband, John. He is the consumate family man. He loves being a husband and a father. He loves learning, and never misses an opportunity to do so. He is so supportive of me in all my endeavors and occasionally spoils me with gifts, both tangible and intangible. My favorite gift is when he brings me roses he has grown himself. That is both a tangible and intangible gift at the same time. Or when he must show me the sunset--I have to drop what I am doing and go outside to hold his hand while we watch it together.

I love Christie for her kindness to many, of which I have also been a recipient, and for her toughness. I've loved the talks we have had. I love Joey for his big heart and sensitive spirit. He has waged his own personal battles to overcome emotional obstacles placed in his way that ought not to have been, with determination. I love Justin for his sweet smile, his quick wit and his helpfulness. He is always ready to do what he is asked and does it with all his heart.

My heart is full and my blessings are many. I think that 99.9999% of my blessings are from the great blessing of being a part of a family. I know I'm not perfect (in case you thought that I thought I was), so I hope that if I have given any of you offense, you will know that I am trying to overcome the faults that caused me to give offense. It is because of my association with each of you that I have the strength and the will to try to be better. Thank you for your influence in my life.

5 comments:

tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tammy said...

Holly, that is sweet what you said about your family. I agree, family is so important and brings us the most joy. As our girls are getting older and will soon have fam's of their own, I hope and pray that they will always love each other and always love me and Brennan.
Love you, Tams

Shanda said...

Holly, I love you for many many reasons! A big one is how you strive to do what is right. You are a wonderful person and I am blessed to know you - let alone be related to you!

Luella said...

Thank you Holly for that wonderful tribute to our family! You have been through so much that you never should have had to endure, and yet you have come out of it all with a smile on your face and a beautiful family to show for it. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Holly-What beautiful thoughts from a beautiful girl. Thank you for being you. You have had a tough row to hoe, but you have come up smelling like a rose! Love, Harriet