I went out of town for a faculty in-service training for Colorado Mountain College this past Thursday and Friday in Vail. Somehow the communication about the carpool arrangements passed me by and I ended up driving myself. The college paid the gas, so I took advantage and went to Home Depot and Costco in the same run. The original arrangement was to share a hotel room with one of the other faculty, but somehow I got my own room. This was in a brand-new 4 star hotel. The valet parking was free, and the rooms were clean and beautiful (gorgeous woodwork, I thought). I was so enjoying the room itself that I didn't notice until the next morning that there was an exersize gym and pool (and me with no sneakers or swimsuit). But anyway, by then it was too late to take advantage because the in-service was about to start. I was surprised to learn that the regular room cost was only $160 but since it was the off-season, the cost was half-price, only $80. If the economy hadn't knocked out John's job, I'd be tempted to go back for a little mini-vacation.
I really got a lot out of the in-service too. The lecture was on the brain and how research has shown that even adult brains are continually growing new dendrites for new subject matter that is introduced to the individual. As long as we continually challenge our brains, we are promoting its health and thus our own health and well-being. Another concept was: when the brain lacks dendrites in a certain subject area, we have a sense of disequalibrium; the greater the disequalibrium, the greater the advantage to the brain. This is because the brain now goes through a greater amount of growth (of dendrites). So Monte, that math class is keeping you healthy!
Right now, John is finishing up the electrical work needed for our addition to pass the electrical inspection tomorrow. We need to pass that before we can insulate and we need to insulate before winter. Tammy, I can't believe you got snow before us. We have had a dusting of snow in the highest mountains, but none at our elevation (8000 feet). We are about due. It is usually snowing by now. 2 ski resorts in Colorado have already opened. Loveland always prides themselves in being the first to open. They only have one run open and it is mostly snow-machine snow, but that means it is cold enough to snow real snow there. I can't remember the name of the other resort that opened. I think it starts with an 'a'.
Yesterday we went to the ski swap and got all our winter gear, including new (to us) skis for me, Joey and Justin. I just got brand-new hot fitted ski boots at 60% off which I told John could be my only Christmas present this year.
John and I have been called to be in the Marriage and Family Relations class in Sunday School. I guess they think we need some help:) Today we read the Proclamation on the Family. The topics of discussion it brought up were pretty interesting. I think the power of the family, or lack of family, in society is great and needs addressing both in and out of the home. In these times, when the definition of marriage is being challenged and children are being raised in less than ideal environments, we cannot afford to not actively promote family wellness. That is why I so appreciate the efforts my brothers and sisters have made of late to have better communication with each other. We were lucky. We had a mother and father who were committed to each other and to us, but still we face challenges. Others are not so lucky and whenever we can, I think we should try to reach out and help them, not to run faster than we have strength, but to do whatever we can as we have the strength.
All right, I'm off the soapbox. To all my family, I love you!
Sunday Evening Walks
10 years ago

2 comments:
Holly, it sounds fun to have some alone time, but I wouldn't have been able to sleep alone. scarey!
What a fun calling for you and John! We went to the family relations class for a year and loved every week! I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Isn't it great to go to conferences? I love learning lots of new things - I can't teach every year without adding something new to my curriculum. It keeps me interested in teaching K-2 music!
Post a Comment